Urban poling (also known as Nordic walking with Nordic poles)—think cross-country skiing without the skis—has toning, calorie-burning and posture benefits that have made it popular in Europe for decades and a new workout favourite in Canada. Just grab your poles and go—no need for a pricey spandex outfit or a fancy gym membership!
At our south Mississauga clinic we instruct and sell Urban poles for walking and hiking.
1. It whittles your waist - Your abs tighten each time you push off with your poles. That’s the equivalent of 1,000 abdominal contractions every kilometre or 1,800 each mile!
2. Your knees and hips will thank you - The poles let you offload weight from your hips and knees into your upper body. You can walk further, faster or even pain-free.
3. It revs up the calorie burning - Research proves it over and over again: urban poling burns up to 20 to 46% more calories than standard walking. Wow!
4. It sculpts your arms and shoulders - Urban poling uses 75 percent of your muscles—especially those underused upper body muscles. Hello short sleeves!
5. It helps balance your blood sugar - The full-body urban poling workout helps keep blood sugars in a healthy range.
6. You’ll straighten up and feel more confident - Your upper back muscles (the ones that pull your shoulders back) tighten each time you plant your poles and press down on the ergonomic handles.
7. It’s a fun social workout - Invite your friends, your parents & your kids to enjoy all the health benefits with you.
8. It’s an amazing stress buster - The smooth rhythmic action provides a distraction from everyday concerns and lifts your mood.
9. You can adjust the intensity - Urban poling is an energizing activity that can be enjoyed by people of any age and athletic ability. Just press on the ergonomic handles with more or less intensity to modify your pace.
10. It’s a great running alternative - Hit the trails or your neighbourhood sidewalks on your own or with a gang of friends. Urban poling offers the same year-round fresh-air experience as running—but without jarring and jostling your joints.
We also sell Urban Poling brand Nordic Poles designed in Canada by an Occupational Therapist!
Unique Components of the ACTIVATOR® Poles:
Button-Locking System: An easier and safer method vs turning locking systems. 200 lbs (90 kg) of weight bearing capacity per pole. Maximum suggested weight of user: 250 lbs (113 kg)
New – Ergonomic CoreGrip (patented): Designed for improving core strengthening while providing greater comfort and supporting the wrist in a neutral position to reduce strain.
Wide Ledge instead of a Strap: To reduce the risk of injuries. A study by Knobloch et al. (2006) found the highest rate of injury for Nordic walking is when the person is still attached to the poles during a fall.
Bell Shaped Tips: Provide greater stability than boot shaped tip
3 Anti-Vibration Features: Reduce vibration and impact on joints
Carbide Steel Tip: Provides stability on slippery conditions and on trails & beaches.
Telescoping: 4′ to 6′ (121 to 182 cm). Poles are collapsible for storage & travel
New – ACTIVATOR2 Poles designed for taller individuals up to 6′ 4″ (195 cm) and collapses shorter for travel 25″ (63 cm). Maximum user weight: 325 lbs (147 kg).
Patented, evidence-based Nordic Poles (FDA registered) are designed for balance and taking more pressure off your back and lower joints. For use indoors as well as outdoors for walking or hiking.
– Hip and knee osteoarthritis
-Pre and post hip & knee replacement surgery
-Post spinal stenosis surgery
– Conditions that affect your balance: Parkinson’s, MS, Stroke
– Rehabilitation programs
-Older Adults Programs – Minimizing the Risk for Falls
Ask your doctor or rehab professional
if ACTIVATOR Poles are for you! We sell them at our Mississauga clinic.
Clarkson Sports & Physiotherapy
1400 Lakeshore Road West, Mississauga, Ontario L5J 1J1, Canada
Copyright © 2022 Clarkson Sports & Physiotherapy - All Rights Reserved.
Designed by Ruth Wentzell. Powered by GoDaddy
If you ignore that ongoing grumbling back pain or stiff knee you will end up with weakness, secondary problems and need more treatment with us.
Please send me Gardening Injury Prevention Tips from CSP Physiotherapists and Chiropractors